Saturday, June 11, 2005
The Farewell Tour
Thursday, June 09, 2005
Progress -- Getting a Bike to Tour
Okay, this is good. I'd decided I didn't want a Trek (even though I work at a Trek dealer), because the color is ugly. Stupid reason, but I've got to look at it, right? So, I'd done some research on the Adventure Cycling Association site and narrowed it down to the following:
- Rivendell Atlantis (local, in stock, hard-core touring bike)
- Steelman Custom Euro-Cross (local, Brent said he could just make my deadline, would become my back-up cyclocross bike)
- Ritchey Break-Away Cross Bike (local, in stock, great price with EP or team pro deal, couplers so it would be easy to travel with -- could've used it in Philly)
- Independent Fabrications Independence (awesome bike -- not available until August -- too late)
I'm leaning toward the Ritchey. Will call them later today to place an order, I think. Then I can build it up however I want at Summit (where I work).
Next up, figuring out my route!
Wednesday, June 08, 2005
The Journey Begins
In July, I'll return to NY. I'm going to do a bit of self-supported bicycle touring, join in on a week-long organized ride around the finger lakes, celebrate my 40th birthday, visit with some old friends (I haven't told them yet), visit my parents' graves, ride through my childhood, and say goodbye once and for all to a whole lotta past.
I've been thinking about this trip a lot lately -- probably because I need to figure it out soon so I can book my flights. I'll probably take two-three weeks (including the one-week tour) and want to visit Syracuse; Elmira; Sayre, PA; Mormon Lake; Rochester; maybe Buffalo; maybe the Thousand Islands. Wow! That's a lot of riding.
Things to do:
- Decide my route (in general).
- Book flights.
- Get a touring bike and equipment.
- Figure out my daily plans (specifically).
- Contact friends and family I want to visit.
- Finalize maps.
- Think about accomodations.
- Find internet cafes.
- Relax and enjoy the process.
- And I need a number ten, so I guess that would be continue preparing here in California for an incredible journey.